Skip to main content Skip to search

Marriage Licenses

The Town Clerk is responsible for issuing a New York State Marriage License to qualified applicants as well as recording the marriage with the New York State Department of Health. The marriage record is on file in this office and in Albany.

Licenses to marry in New York State may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s office, or here, regardless of the residence of either of the parties. Once the license is issued and the 24-hour waiting period has passed, the ceremony must be performed within 60 days and can be performed anywhere in New York State.

In order to obtain a marriage license, the applicants must present photo ID (drivers license or passport), Social Security card and their birth certificate with a seal listing parents name on certificate. Both applicants must appear in person. Marriage license applicants whose previous marriage(s) ended in divorce, annulment or death of a spouse, must provide proof of dissolution of all previous marriage(s) by presenting a certified copy of Divorce or Annulment decrees and/or a certified copy of a Death Certificate for each previous marriage. Blood tests are no longer required.

The fee for obtaining a New York State Marriage License is $40 payable by cash, check or money order to the Caledonia Town Clerk . Additional Certified Transcripts of Marriage are available for $10 per copy.

To get a copy of your marriage record
A certified copy of the marriage record may be obtained from the office of the Town or City Clerk who issued the license (fee $10), or from the New York State Department of Health (fee $30).

To request a copy of a marriage certificate from the Caledonia Town Clerk by mail, you must:

  • Print a copy of the Application for Copy of Marriage Certificate and fill in the form.
  • Remit the completed form and the $10 fee to: Town of Caledonia, 3109 Main St., Caledonia, NY 14423
  • Along with the above information, please send a photocopy of your driver’s license and a notarized letter requesting the marriage certificate.

To request a copy of a marriage certificate from the Caledonia Town Clerk in person, you must:

  • Complete an application form available from the clerk
  • Remit the $10 fee (cash or check)
  • Present identification

Please note that because of the personal information contained on the marriage certificate, the Town Clerk will not give a copy of a marriage license to anyone except the bride or groom. Marriage licenses copies cannot be picked up by or mailed to children, parents, or friends of the bride and groom. For more information, please visit the Department of Health website at:

Licenses are issued by the Caledonia Town Clerk’s during regular office hours. After-hours appointments may be scheduled upon request.